The Palace of Versailles interests every traveller, who want to discover the secrets of French and European Renaissance . The castle keeps bright historical parts under its roof. It is a symbol of the of absolute monarchy. More and more people every day stand in the queue to see and know as much as possible in the old french castle. Take these Versailles facts and tips with you to the palace, they will release you from some insider problems.
Tip1. Check the opening time
One of the important Versailles facts is its opening time to know prior the visit.
The Palace works every day, except Monday
from 9:00 am to 6:30 pm
closed on Mondays
Estate of Trianon
from 12:00 pm to 6:30 pm
closed on Mondays
from 8:00 am to 8:30 pm
from 12:30 pm to 6:30 pm
closed on Mondays
Tip2. Check the prices and book the tickets online
You can see everything in Versailles including the garden, Trianon Palaces, Marie-Antoinette’s Hamlet with it just for €18 or €25 (on Sundays, Saturdays, Tuesdays when the fountains are shown on). You will save money by this way as the thicket for one place is €15. For other prices look here.
Tip3. Eat well before your visit
Visiting Versailles castle takes a long time, and it is not allowed to bring food and drinks in the garden, the security checks carefully. That’s why be on a safe side and eat well.
Tip4. Save your energy, rent a golf cart
Of course you can walk through the charming gardens and enjoy it, but in case you are in a hurry or get tired quickly, renting a golf car is the solution. For saving time and energy it is the best and fast way. For €30, you can drive your golf car and not only see everything but also have fun.
Tip5. Know about the special admission
Must-know Versailles fact: Some of the palaces have free admission for
- People under 18
- European Union residents under 26
- Teacher appointed to a French school with their Education Pass
- Disabled people and their accompanying adults
- French jobseekers
Tip6. Come prepared
- Take a sunscreen and sunglasses, as you’ll be under the sun for a long time.
- Don’t forget a jacket. It may be windy in the gardens, especially during the evenings.
- Wear a comfortable shoes, don’t forget you will wander around Versailles quit a long time.
- Get the map of the palace, not to miss anything important and to choose the best itinerary.
Tip8. Arrive earlier for valuable photos
If you are a great lover of photography, avoid the line and groups of visitors. The best way is to come an hour earlier it’s opening and be the first in the line. You can enter the first and find proper places for taking pictures.
Tip9. The best time for the visit
- Low season (Nov 1- March 31) as it is not so crowded, you can feel the beauty of the art.
- Lunchtime, dinner time, while the others are trying to answer the question “what to eat?”, you can enjoy your visit and answer the question“what to see
Tip1O. When not to go
- High season (Apr 1-Oct 31) because it is madly crowded
- Mondays, as it is closed
- Tuesdays, when the Louvre is closed and a large crowd is hurrying to Versailles.
Tip 11. Take tours
These Versailles facts and tips are highly helpful to know beforehand to have the best possible experience.
Interesting Versailles Facts
- It was built in the 17th century for the Sun king Louis the 14th.
- It was used as a hunting lodge for the French king.
- The Court of Versailles was a centre of political power of France from 1682 to 1789.
- There are over 357 mirrors in the Hall of Mirrors.
- Everything, every material in the Palace have french origin.
- It took 36.000 workers and 50 years to build the palace.
- There are lots of valuable things in the palace, even the chamber pots are made of silver.